'Working and Growing Together'
- Homework Policy
- (Please see spelling homework at the bottom of this page. Weekly Arithmetic and Grammar homework is given out weekly.)
- At Fitzwilliam Primary School, we believe that it is appropriate to encourage all of our children in their work. We value the homes of our children and the positive supportive influence that the parents of our children have in their education. We value parents as partners in the education of their children and we feel that in providing homework for all our children we will strengthen the links already existing between home and school.
- Homework in some form we believe is appropriate for all our children. We do recognise the different levels of development between individuals and cohorts and thus the quantity and focus of homework set will vary throughout school. The homework activities set will be carefully designed to meet children’s individual needs including any special educational needs and also to reinforce the necessary basic skills of literacy and numeracy within the school curriculum. The homework set will reinforce the skills and knowledge that the children have developed in the classroom.
- The homework set will be as follows:-
- Weekly spellings – all children from Year 1 will get weekly spellings to learn. These will be set on a Friday and all children are expected to learn them. The children will be tested the following week. Each classteacher will inform parents of what day the spelling test will take place. The spellings will be put on the school website in the class area and children will also get a sheet to take home. The children will also be issued with an orange spelling book in which they can write their spellings.
- Weekly Arithmetic - all children from Year 1 to Year 6 will get weekly arithmetic homework. The level of work will depend on the age and ability of each individual child. The arithmetic task will be set on a Friday and it should be completed in the child’s homework book and returned to school the by the following Wednesday so that teachers have time to mark it.
- Weekly Grammar - all children from Year 1 to Year 6 will get weekly grammar homework. The level of work will depend on the age and ability of each individual child. The grammar task will be set on a Friday and it should be completed in the child’s homework book and returned to school the by the following Wednesday so that teachers have time to mark it.
- Children not completing homework at home and returning to school will complete it the following Friday during Golden Time.
School and national data indicates that the more children read the more likely they are to reach their potential and achieve their targets not only in primary school but also as they progress to high school and beyond. All children are expected to read at home at least once per week and complete their Reading Record Book.
Reading UFS and Year 1
Parents of children in UFS and Year 1 can complete the Reading Record Book for their child. A child’s book will only be changed once a comment has been put in their reading record book by an adult.
Reading Year 2
Children in Year 2 will begin to independently write comments in their reading record books however parent comments are still welcome. A child’s book will only be changed once a comment has been put in their reading record book by an adult.
Reading Year 3 to Year 6Year 3 to Year 6, children must write independent comments in their books after reading. Teachers will model this to children. If children in Year 3 to Year 6 do not read at home during the week and also record this in their reading record book, they will complete a lunchtime reading club on a Thursday.
Termly Theme Project
In addition to the above homework there will be set a termly theme project for children and families to work on together. Your child will bring home a variety of activities from which they can choose to complete any of the activities as and when they choose. There will be six activities in all each half term. Children have the full term to complete the project and can bring the completed work into school to share at any point during the term.
Recommended time allocation for homework
At Fitzwilliam Primary School we believe that, the amount of time spent on homework is less important than the quality of the task set.
Upper Foundation No given time allocation
Years 1 and 2 1 hour per week
Years 3 and 4 1.5 hours per week
Years 5 and 6 1.5 hours per week
It is our parents responsibility, as stated in our Home School Agreement, to ensure their child completes each homework task.
- Homework Summary by class
- Upper Foundation
- Letter sounds
- Optional Termly Theme
Years 1 to 6
- Spelling words
- Arithmetic task
- Grammar task
- Optional Termly Theme
The length of the above tasks will depend on age and ability of the child.
After full implementation of the new National Curriculum September 2014 the policy was reviewed by staff, pupils and parents. The policy has been implemented since January 2015. It was reviewed in July 2017 as part of the annual policy programme.
- YEAR 1 AUTUMN 1 2018 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 2 AUTUMN 1 2018 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 3 AUTUMN 1 2018 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 6 AUTUMN 1 2018 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- UFS AUTUMN 2018 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK
- YEAR 1 AND 2 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK AUTUMN
- YEAR 6 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK AUTUMN 2018
- YEAR 1 SUMMER 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 2 SUMMER 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 4 SUMMER 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 5 SUMMER 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 1 SUMMER 1 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 2 SUMMER 1 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 4 SUMMER 1 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 5 SUMMER 1 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- UFS OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SUMMER 2018
- YEAR 1 AND 2 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SUMMER 2018
- YEAR 3 AND 4 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SUMMER 2018
- YEAR 5 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SUMMER 2018
- YEAR 1 SPRING 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 2 SPRING 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 3 SPRING 2 SPELLINGS OVERVIEW
- YEAR 4 SPRING 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 5 SPRNG 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- YEAR 6 SPRING 2 SPELLING OVERVIEW
- UFS OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SPRING 2018
- YEAR 1 AND 2 OPEN ENDED HOMEWORK SPRING 2018
- Y2 Spellings Spring 1
- Y3 Spellings Spring 1
- Y4 Spellings Spring 1
- Y5 Spellings Spring 1
- Y6 Spellings Spring 1