The Literacy Subject Leader is: Mr Paul Quarry
Subject Ambassadors are Harley and Eve
Writing Statement of Intent
It is our intent at Fitzwilliam Primary School to provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others effectively.
At Fitzwilliam Primary School Writing is a crucial part of our curriculum. All children from Foundation Stage to Year 6 are provided with many opportunities to develop and apply their writing skills across the curriculum. Please click on the link at the bottom of this page to read our Writing Policy.
With regards to Writing, we intend for pupils to be able to plan, revise and evaluate their writing. To be able to do this effectively, pupils will focus on developing effective transcription and effective composition. They will also develop an awareness of the audience, purpose and context, and an increasingly wide knowledge of vocabulary and grammar. We also intend for pupils to leave school being able to use fluent, legible and speedy handwriting.
With regards to Spelling, teachers will show pupils how to understand the relationships between words, how to understand nuances in meaning, and how to develop their understanding of, and ability to use, figurative language. They will also teach pupils how to work out and clarify the meanings of unknown words and words with more than one meaning. Pupils will be taught to control their speaking and writing consciously and to use Standard English.
Please see schools English documents below including: intent, policy, progression grids and scheme of work.
- FPS SDP 2020-21 - LITERACY - Review - Feb 2021
- FPS SDP - 2020-21 - LITERACY
- 2020-21 - LITERACY - Writing - Progression Grid
- ENGLISH POLICY - Writing
- ENGLISH - Intent Overview
- ENGLISH - YEARLY OVERVIEWS
- Year 1 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- Year 2 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- Year 3 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- Year 4 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- Year 5 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- Year 6 MAT Writing Assessment Grids ARE and GD
- SDP ACTION PLAN - ENGLISH - WRITING - 2019-2020